Speed thrills but kills. You might have heard this phrase at least once in your lifetime. If you are planning on a road trip on your motorcycle for the first time, you might be pretty excited. Excitement is good, but you also need to practice safety.
Purchasing the Right Motorcycle
You might be a motorcycle enthusiast, but that does not mean you invest in any motorcycle for your road trip. Many motorcycles might not be designed for long trips and might give up on the way. You do not want to be stranded in some unknown place with no service station nearby.
So, the wise thing to do here would be to invest in motorcycles that come with a powerful engine and good mileage. Some of the things to consider which purchasing your adventure motorcycle is:
- Buy a motorcycle which you are comfortable with
- You must be able to control the motorcycle
- Buy a lighter motorcycle with an engine of 500 – 700 cc range
- Learn the specs of the motorcycle you wish to invest in
- Practice with the motorcycle before you hit the road
Invest in the Right Safety Gears
You simply cannot get on your motorcycle and go off on the road. You need to keep in mind safety measures. Motorcycle accidents are pretty common in the world. Many serious accidents are caused due to no proper head gear and rash driving.
Buy a good helmet that covers your face. It should be sturdy and at the same time comfortable. Similarly you need to plan your clothes accordingly. Choose clothes that can help you protect you from bad weather or bugs. Buy riding gloves and boots that come with better grip.
If you are purchasing safety gears, go in for bright colors. In this way, chances of you getting hit by other vehicles are less as drivers can clearly see you on the road.
Last but not the least; ensure that your motorcycle is in good condition before you go on your road trip. Carry a toolkit with you in case of emergencies. Know your route map and check for weather conditions.
Planning for your Road Trip
You need to plan well in advance for your road trip. If you live in and around California, then you might come across many best scenic drives in southern California. Of course, you might want to research your options and decide which would be the best destination for your road trip.
Coming to the packing, you need to:
- Carry saddlebags that contain basic essentials required for your road trip
- Your camping gear and cooking set if you plan on camping out
- Shop on basic food items such as fruits or bread so that you can have mini breaks while on your road trip
- Purchase a good sleeping back along with tents or tarp to carry with you on your trip
- Bear in mind to pack a first aid kit also along with bug repellents
If this is your first road trip, then you want to make the most out of it. If you plan on staying at a motel, then you might want to reserve in advance.