What is cosmetic surgery?
Cosmetic surgery is one of the branches of plastic surgery, the other being reconstructive surgery. Cosmetic surgery aims to improve the aesthetic appearance of a person. The primary idea and aim of the various processes under cosmetic surgery is to improve a person’s appearance as per their desire. Reconstructive plastic surgery on the other hand aims to improve function. Reconstructive surgery is considered as surgery that helps in reconstructing or improving the appearance due to an illness or injury whereas cosmetics surgery is wilful surgery and the patients choose to have it.
Some of the common cosmetic surgery procedures-
- Abdominoplasty – The reshaping and firming of abdomen is called abdominoplasty. In layman’s language it is called tummy tucking.
- Mammoplasty – Reduction and augmentation of the breasts is called mammoplasty.
- Gynecomastia – A lot of males are affected by the condition in which their mammary glands are unusually large. Cosmetic surgery helps in treating this condition by reducing the mammary glands.
- Rhinoplasty – Rhinoplasty or a nose job helps in reshaping a patient’s nose to help change its appearance or help in improving its function in breathing.
- Rhytidectomy – Removing wrinkles from the face or tightening the facial tissues to appear younger is called Rhytidectomy.
- Liposuction – Removal of fat from various parts of the body like thighs, stomach, arms, buttocks etc is called Liposuction.
Cosmetic surgery in India–
Unlike the older times when plastic surgery was mostly used for just burns and injuries, it is quite common now days. From fixing the nose to lifting that eyebrow, cosmetic surgery has come a long way now. The urban and metropolitan cities are hubs for cosmetic surgery facilities in India that help people achieve the desired changes in their appearance.
India as an affordable destination has been on the rise as one of favourite destinations for cosmetic surgery facilities. Cities like Chandigarh, Delhi and Mumbai are frequently thronged by people from across the globe for cosmetic surgery in India. People from countries like US, Canada, UK etc fly down to India for world-class surgery facilities at affordable prices. The less expensive cosmetic surgery processes like hair transplant, rhinoplasty and breast augmentations are carried in India at less than half the prices as compared to the first world countries.
The reasons for India as the favourite cosmetic surgery destination are-
- Low cost of travelling– The cost of travelling in India from one place to another is cheaper as compared to other places across the globe.
- Low cost of post surgery rehabilitation process– The cost of living in India is relatively less. Hence it is easier for patients from across the globe to have a pocket friendly post surgery stay in India.
- Affordable cosmetic surgery prices– The cost of cosmetic surgery in India is about 60% less as compared to the rest of the world.
- World class doctors– Indian cosmetic surgeons and the facilities here are state of the art and reputed all over the world. These factors attract more than a million tourists every year who fly to India for various cosmetic procedures.
No language barrier– English is the second language of India and thus it is easier for people from all over the globe to interact freely with doctors and the hospital staff for all their needs and queries.