Nowadays, various sectors like insurance, corporate growth and medical tourism have raised the demands for the quality of the healthcare services which has in turn, has raised the consumer’s demand for quality. This is the reason why national and international accreditation programs have been introduced. The hospitals which have some national or international accreditation are meant to provide the quality healthcare services. A hospital that is quality conscious must define all the quality services, and keep training the staff for the betterment of patients. A hospital must prepare documentation that must include the work instructions and quality indicators that need to be followed by the staff of the hospital. NABH Accreditation plays a great role and serves as a key to the safety of patients.
NABH stands for National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Healthcare Providers. In order to get accredited by NABH, a hospital needs to achieve more than 500 objectives set by this standard. To conform to such objectives, the hospital is required to have a process-driven methodology in all ways. In India, NABH accreditation was established to perform accreditation programs for the hospitals with the aim of improving the healthcare system and ensuring the patient’s safety. The standards put by NABH are accredited by International Society for Quality in Healthcare. So, it simply means that if your healthcare is accredited with NABH, it would automatically get international recognition.
The criterion of NABH Accreditation:
Some of the objectives that are to be followed to get accredited by NABH are as follows:
1. Information to patients:
- It is the responsibility of healthcare service provider to tell every patient or family member about the proposed care.
- Expected results of the treatment must be explained to patient or family member.
- Before starting the treatment, expected cost must be explained to the patient or family member.
2. Quality Investigation Process:
- Transportation and handling of lab specimens must be done safely.
- If any critical results are found during the investigation, it must be sent immediately to the concerned person.
- Periodic maintenance and calibration of lab equipment must be done in order to ensure the quality.
- Imaging and laboratory results must be prepared within a specific time frame.
- All the preventive and corrective actions must be documented with laboratory and imaging results.
- All the lab investigations must be supervised and performed only qualified and professional personnel.
3. Rights of family and patients:
- Patient has a right to refuse to treatment.
- Patient must be given information on how to raise a complaint.
- Patient must be informed before undergoing any blood transfusions, anesthesia or high-risk treatments.
- Patient has a right to access his or her medical records and reports.
4. Infrastructure Maintenance:
- The facilities and environment of the organization must assure the safety of patients, visitors and staff.
- Fire escape routes, site layouts and floor plans must be updated and maintained time to time.
- Designated individuals need to look for the maintenance of hospitals time to time.
- The staff responsible for maintenance must be available round the clock as the emergency may occur anytime.
- A maintenance and operational plan must always be documented.
So, above are the objectives that any healthcare organization needs to obey to avail NABH Accreditation. There are many healthcare consultants that are helping healthcare organizations to get accreditation by NABH. If you also want your healthcare consultancy to be accredited by NABH, consult Mediance Healthcare that has a team of experienced and qualified NABH consultants who are providing the NABH training to healthcare organizations.